Learning Resource Pack
Our Bereavement and Loss Learning Resource Pack is for those supporting bereaved people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and their parents and carers.
It is for parents, paid carers and professionals, and emerged from the shared experiences of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and those caring for them.
The Bereavement and Loss Resource Pack is relevant to anyone involved in the lives of people with complex disabilities, including parents, paid carers, teachers, speech and language therapists and psychologists. The resource explores the following issues:
Unit I: Supporting bereaved people with profound and multiple learning disabilities
- understanding how bereavement affects us
- supporting people with profound learning disabilities
- supporting spirituality
Unit II: Supporting bereaved parents and carers who have cared for someone with profound and multiple learning disabilities
- caring for someone with complex healthcare needs
- experience of bereavement for families who cared for someone with complex healthcare needs
The Pack also includes a DVD with two 20 minute video clips of parents sharing their own experiences and those of their sons and daughters.
Our Bereavement and Loss resource pack is supplemented by a two-day training course for those supporting bereaved people with profound and multiple learning disabilities and their parents and carers.
Cost £240 per person
The cost includes the Learning Resource Pack outlined above.
The course is facilitated by the PAMIS Bereavement and Loss Project Team – 2014 winners of the Linda McEnhill Award for ‘Outstanding end of life support of an individual with learning disabilities’.
Course participants will:
- gain an understanding of how bereavement and loss affects people with PMLD
- gain an understanding of how bereavement and loss affects family carers who have cared for a person with PMLD
- feel more confident in working with people who have experienced bereavement and loss
- have more knowledge of the theories of bereavement and loss
- develop practical skills to work with people who have experienced bereavement and loss
This course is highly participative and will have a mix of tutor input and experiential learning.
It will also have opportunities for participants to be involved in reflective practice that can be used for CPD purposes – i.e. SVQ, HNC, PRTL, CLPLO and post-graduate. This course will count as 12 hours CPD time.
Course evaluation will be undertaken with the use of pre and post-course questionnaires.
When asked what delegates liked about the course, comments included:
- Practical exercises! Use of videos, case studies and real stories.
- It was informative and interesting.
- I enjoyed all of the course: information, handouts, activities, groupwork.
- I liked the course. It was quite emotional.
- Sharing knowledge.
- Everything – the way the course was run was very relaxed and with empathy, lovely facilitators. I learnt a lot.
If you would like information about upcoming courses please contact Fiona Harper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can also run a course exclusively for your staff and delivered in-house for you. The minimum number of delegates is 6 and the maximum we can take is 12. The cost is normally £240 per person – but for an in-house course, it’s £2400 for up to 12 people (ie. 2 places free).